What We Do
In March 1999, Star Shelter opened its doors. It is a registered charity with IPC Status, and is the only secular crisis centre in Singapore.
Star Shelter aims to provide a safe temporary refuge for women and their children who are victims of family violence regardless of race, language, creed or religion. We also empower the victims to manage and take responsibility for their lives, and assist them in rebuilding their lives free from violence.
All the residents are referred by the Family Court, Family Service Centres, the Police, Hospitals and other Agencies.
Apart from providing meals and lodging, Star Shelter also provides Trauma/Crisis counselling and Case Management. Through the “Rebuild” Program, we also provide a one-time financial aid to assist victims to pay for transport expenses while looking for employment as well as a no interest home loan, which enables victims to set up a new home.
The Star Shelter provides an essential service, which is in short supply in our community. While the government does provide a grant to help defray some of the Shelter’s costs, the remaining amount has to be raised by SCWO through fundraising projects each year, and the goodwill of various individual donors.
If you are victim, or of if you know someone who is a victim, you should either:
- Make a report at the nearest neighbourhood police centre
- Make a report at the nearest hospital if there is physical injury
- Approach the nearest Family Service Centre, who will appoint a case worker to assess the situation before making a referral to the shelter.
The referral must be made on MSF standard form and emailed to management.
The shelter will consider self-referrals on case by case basis.
Criteria for Admission
Persons who intend to seek refuge at the shelter must satisfy the following criteria:
- Is a victim of violence
- Female between 21 to 60 years of age
- Children of the victim (if the child is male, he must be of 12 years and below)
- Has no physical or mental issues that requires monitoring
- Not physically disabled
Condition of Stay
Each victim can stay a maximum of three months. During the stay, the victim must demonstrate willingness to work towards resolution of her issues—actively seeking alternative accommodation, job, etc. The shelter reserves the right to evict at any time when it is felt that the victim is not taking ownership of her own problems or there is undesirable behaviour on the part of the victim.
Contact Star Shelter
To protect the victims in the shelter, the location of the shelter cannot be publicised. Anyone who wishes to contact the management staff of the shelter can:
Call: +(65) 6571-0192
Fax: +(65) 6837-0081
Our office is open from 9.00am – 6.00pm (Monday – Friday).
The Star Shelter regularly requires donations of everyday items:
- Canned goods (Corned beef, luncheon meat, sardines, beans, mushroom, soup, tuna)
- Vegetable Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Instant noodle (Halal assorted mix)
- Condensed milk
- Formula milk (0-5 years old) (Dumex Dugro)
- Tea (Lipton)
- Bleach (Clorox)
- Body Wash (Dove)
- Diapers (XL & XXL)
- Dishwashing liquid
- Shampoo (Dove)
- Conditioner (Dove)
- Sanitary pads & pantyliners
- Disinfectant cleaner/ Antiseptic (Dettol)
- Floor cleaner
- Hand soap
- Multipurpose Cleaner (Cif)
Donate these groceries via NTUC FairPrice – NCSS Discount Scheme (online shopping)
For Cash donations, please click here for details.
Click here to read about the Star Shelter Gardening Programme