What We Do
Inspiring Girls International is an organisation dedicated to raising the aspirations of young girls around the world by connecting them with female role models. It has been active since 2013 and it is currently running in 8 countries.
The mission of Inspiring Girls in Singapore is to expose young girls between the ages of 11 and 17 (Primary 5 & 6 and all of Secondary School) to a wide range of careers and options in life and to inspire them to aim high. Inspiring Girls is chaired by SCWO 3rd Vice President Ms Lavinia Thanapathy.
Inspiring Girls Singapore organised a pilot programme in November 2018 with St Anthony’s Canossian Primary school at Eden Hall, the British High Commissioner’s Official Residence. This was the first time the programme ran in Singapore and in Asia.
40 girls from Primary 5 & 6 were paired with 9 female role models during the “speed mentoring” session. The girls were grouped into circles of 8 and the female role models moved from one group to the other every 8 minutes. During their time with the girls, the role models give a short introduction to what they do and the girls can ask them questions about their education, what their typical work day is like, what they enjoy and dislike about their current position and about their career path. The girls and role models receive briefing sheets to help them have constructive conversations.
In Celebration of IWD
Inspiring Girls also ran its first International Women’s Day Event “Fearless & Fabulous” on 30 March 2019 at Cisco Systems where 4 inspiring women speakers talked about the importance of girls in technology, of being ambitious and about believing in themselves.
In the Pipeline
Our goals for 2019 are to
- Set up a website with matching software that will allow schools and potential role models to register their interest and for us to create targeted events for them
- Run at least 5 Inspiring Girls events at schools or companies in Singapore
- Organise 2 talks at schools for parents on Raising Girls and 2 public events for girls (1 was done for IWD)
- Establish a social media presence that shares empowering content for girls in Singapore
- Create a video about the programme for schools, parents and potential role models
For more information about the programme/If you are interested to organise an IG session/If you would like to join us as a Role Model – please get in touch with Clara at email@example.com / 6571 0190.